All students, new and returning, must complete their immunization requirements for school. The health services staff at your campus will be able to review your students’ immunization records and offer you locations to obtain immunizations, if they are needed.

Texas School & Child-Care Facility Immunization Requirements | Immunizations FAQ


The law allows (a) physicians to write a statement stating that the vaccine(s) required would be medically harmful or injurious to the health and well-being of the child or household member, and (b) parents/guardians to choose an exemption from immunization requirements for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief. Schools must maintain an up-to-date list of students with exemptions, because these students may be excluded in times of emergency or epidemic declared by the commissioner of public health.

Instructions for requesting the official exemption affidavit, signed by parents/guardians choosing the exemption for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief, can be found at Immunization Exemption Affidavit. Original exemption affidavits must be completed and submitted to the school and are valid for 2 years.

For students claiming a medical exemption, a written statement by the physician must be submitted to the school. A medical exemption is valid for 1 year, unless the physician specifically states it is a life-long medical exemption.

Provisional Enrollment

All immunizations should be completed by the first date of attendance. The law requires that students be fully vaccinated against specified diseases. A student may be enrolled provisionally if the student has an immunization record that indicates the student has received at least one dose of each specified age-appropriate vaccine required by this rule. To remain enrolled, the student must complete the required subsequent doses in each vaccine series on schedule and as rapidly as is medically feasible and provide acceptable evidence of vaccination to the school. A school nurse or school administrator shall review the immunization status of a provisionally enrolled student every 30 days to ensure continued compliance in completing the required doses of vaccination. If, at the end of the 30-day period, a student has not received a subsequent dose of vaccine, the student is not in compliance and the school shall exclude the student from school attendance until the required dose is administered.

Additional provisional enrollment guidelines for students include students transferring from one Texas public or private school to another, students who are dependents of active duty military, students in foster care, and students who are homeless.


Since many types of personal immunization records are in use, any document will be acceptable provided a physician or public health personnel has validated it. The month, day, and year that the vaccination was received must be recorded on all school immunization records created or updated after September 1, 1991.


The following is a list of resources for families who need vaccinations:

How to Obtain Copy of Immunization Record

If you need a copy of your students immunization records, the only way they can be obtained is by submitting a records request to [email protected].

When making a records request, please note the following:

  1. A photo identification will be required for all record requests.
  2. If the student is under the age of 18, their parent/guardian must make the request for the immunizations.
  3. If the student is over the age of 18, the student must make the request for the immunizations, as the right to access the information transfers to the eligible student from the parent/guardian.

*** Please note: the campus nurse or staff cannot provide you with a copy. ***

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

My child had the shots you say he/she is missing. Didn’t the doctor’s office send it to you?

No. Your doctor’s office does not send your student’s health information to the school. When your child gets their vaccinations, please ask for a copy and bring it to your campus clinic.

I do not want my child getting the required vaccines, is there a paper I can sign?

Yes. You must apply for an affidavit from the Texas Department of State Health Services website. All forms are mailed to you. Affidavits must be notarized (including the parent signature and the vaccines exempt for your student) and turned in to the campus clinic. These affidavits expire every two years and can take 7-10 days to arrive. Please plan accordingly.

Don’t you check the state immunization registry (immtrac)?

Yes. We check immtrac whenever possible. Parents must opt in to the state registry for immunizations, which is done through your physician’s office. We do not input data into the state registry, so we cannot guarantee it has the most current information. Please continue to provide your individual student’s immunization records to the campus clinic.

My child has an appointment for their vaccinations on exclusion day or the day after exclusion day. Can they come to school until the appointment?

No. Unfortunately, they cannot be in school until the vaccines have been given and the campus clinic has the updated record.

Do you all notify parents when shots are due for our children?

Yes. We notify families via email, mail, telephone, and by sending letters with your student. Please make sure your home and email addresses, as well as phone numbers, are up to date in the school system. You can update those with the campus registrar.

Why do you care if I vaccinate my child?

The Texas Administrative Code, Title 25 Health Services, §§97.61-97.72 sets the minimum standards for school immunization requirements. All Texas schools and child-care facilities must follow these requirements.

For medical reasons, my child cannot receive the vaccines that are required. What should I do?

Talk with your physician. If your physician feels the vaccines are medically contradicted, then the physician can write a medical exemption. The medical exempt is valid for 1 year, unless the physician writes it as a lifelong exemption. The physician’s written exemption must be turned into the school clinic.

My child has practice before school. Can they attend practice and go home before school starts?

No. They cannot attend any school related functions, UIL events or ride the bus, starting the day of exclusion. This remains in effect until updated immunization information is delivered to the school clinic.