In Leander ISD, students in Grades 7–9 are taught Human Sexuality Curriculum through presentations by LifeGuard, an independent organization.
LISD believes that sexuality education begins at home. Parents or legal guardians are the primary educators of their children and can be the most important influence on your child’s health decisions. The lessons your child will receive in school are designed to reinforce what a parent or legal guardian is teaching at home, not to replace it.
LifeGuard Character & Sexuality Education
The purpose of the LifeGuard Character and Sexuality Education is to empower teens with accurate information and practical tools to help them make healthy decisions, build strong relationships, and fully experience the benefits of saving sex for marriage. LifeGuard is an independent organization.
For LISD students in grades 7-9, LifeGuard Character and Sexuality Education Lessons are taught in blended environments that include both boys and girls. The topics covered in this abstinence-based curriculum are those found in the Leander ISD Health Matrix and in the Texas Health TEKS. All content has been reviewed by the Leander ISD School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) and is grade-level specific and developmentally appropriate.
- Participation in the human sexuality curriculum is voluntary. Parents or legal guardians have the ability to “opt out” their student from the lesson by returning the signed parent letter or with written request (email your child’s teacher indicated in the parent letter). Parent letters will be provided via email at least two weeks prior to each of the parent workshops or can be found under the Notification Letters and Opt Out Forms below.
- Parents or legal guardians will be provided an opportunity to preview the curriculum documents and teaching materials. You may request an electronic preview via the LifeGuard website two weeks prior to each parent workshop or contact your school librarian to schedule an appointment for viewing.
To view more materials, please visit the LifeGuard website.
LISD will be hosting several informational workshops that cover the Character and Sexuality Curriculum presented by LifeGuard.
The LifeGuard informational workshops are designed to give parents helpful tips for communicating with their children (grades 7–9) about human sexuality, allow them to review the district curriculum, explore statistics from health officials and ask questions of LifeGuard and LISD staff.
For more information about these parenting workshops, or if you have questions about LifeGuard, please contact Alicia Westcot at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALG Parent Presentation Dates
- Oct. 20, 2020
- Dec. 10, 2020
- Feb. 4, 2021
*The meeting link will be emailed to you immediately after registration is complete. You will not be able to enter the meeting without registering. We recommend registering at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the meeting. If you have any issues please contact LifeGuard at email@example.com.
Student Presentation Dates
- Canyon Ridge MS: Jan. 11–14
- Cedar Park MS: Dec. 1–4
- Danielson MS: Dec. 15–18
- Four Points MS: Dec. 7–10
- Henry MS: Nov. 4–6, 9
- Leander MS: Dec. 11, 14–16
- Running Brushy MS: Nov. 16–19
- Stiles MS: Nov. 10–13
- Wiley MS: Dec. 9–11, 14
- Canyon Ridge MS: Feb. 24–26, March 1
- Cedar Park MS: Jan. 22, 25-27
- Danielson MS: Feb. 3–5, 8
- Four Points MS: Feb. 1-4
- Henry MS: April 27–30
- Leander MS: Feb. 26, March 1–3
- Running Brushy MS: May 21, 24–26
- Stiles MS: Jan. 15, 19–21
- Wiley MS: Jan. 28–29, Feb. 1–2
- Cedar Park HS: May 12–14, 17, 19–20
- Glenn HS: March 24–26, 29–31
- Leander HS: April 13–16, 19–20
- Rouse HS: April 19–23, 26
- Vandegrift HS: March 4–5, 8–11
- Vista Ridge HS: April 8–9, 13–16