Continuous Improvement Conference
State of the District
Book Recommendations for School Leaders
This is a brief list of books I’ve found that have influenced who I am as a leader. There are thousands more out there worth reading, so this is simply a starting point. Enjoy!
- Brown, Brene (2018). Dare to Lead. Penguin Random House. New York, NY.
- Collins, Jim (2001). Good to Great. Harper Collins. New York, NY.
- Collins, Jim (2005). Good to Great and the Social Sectors. Harper Collins. New York, NY.
- Couros, George (2015). The Innovator’s Mindset. Dave Burgess Consulting, San Diego, CA.
- Covey, Stephen R. (1989). The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Fireside. New York, NY.
- Coyle, Daniel (2009). The Talent Code. Bantam Dell. New York, NY.
- Coyle, Daniel (2018). The Culture Code. Bantam Dell. New York, NY.
- Dworkin, Martin S. (1959). Dewey on Education. Teachers College Press. New York, NY.
- Gladwell, Malcolm (2000). The Tipping Point. Little, Brown, and Company. New York, NY.
- Gladwell, Malcolm (2008). Outliers. Little, Brown, and Company. New York, NY.
- Kurtzig Freedman, Miriam (2017). Special Education 2.0. School Law Pro. Palo Alto, CA.
- Lencioni, Patrick (1998). The Five Temptations of a CEO. Jossey-Bass. San Francisco, CA.
- Lencioni, Patrick (2002). The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. Jossey-Bass. San Francisco, CA.
- McAdams, Donald R. (2006). What School Boards Can Do. Teachers College Press. New York, NY.
- Rath, Tom (2007). Strengths Finder 2.0. Gallup Press. New York, NY.
- Rath, Tom, and Conchie, Barry (2008). Strengths Based Leadership. Gallup Press. New York, NY.
- Richardson, Will (2016). Freedom to Learn. Solution-Tree Press. Bloomington, IN.
- Robinson Ken (2001). Out of Our Minds. Capstone Publishers. West Sussex, England.
- Rose, Todd (2016). The End of Average. Harper Collings. New York, NY.
- Schlechty, Phillip C. (2005). Creating Great Schools. Jossey-Bass. San Francisco, CA.
- Segall, Ken (2016). Think Simple: How Smart Leaders Defeat Complexity. Penguin Randomhouse. New York, NY.
- Senge, Peter M. (1990). The Fifth Discipline. Doubleday. London, UK.
- Smart, Jamie (2013). Clarity. Capstone Publishing. Chichester, UK.
- Socol, I., Moran, P., Ratliff, C. (2018). Timeless Learning. Jossey-Bass. San Francisco, CA.
- Theobald, Paul (1997). Teaching the Commons. Westview Press. Oxford, England.
- Wells, Richard (2016). A Learner’s Paradise: How New Zealand is Reimagining Education. EdTechTeam Press.
- Wheatley, Margaret J. (1992). Leadership and the New Science. Berret Koehler Publishers, Inc. San Francisco, CA.
- Wiseman, Liz (2010). Multipliers. Harper Collings. New York, NY.
- Zhao, Yong (2012). World Class Learners. Corwin Press. Thousand Oaks, CA.
Share a Story
Share a Story
Leander ISD is collecting stories of world class students, staff and schools to share on our websites, media partners, social media, and presentations.
We want to hear about:
- State and national awards
- Unique projects and talents
- Stellar teacher and service
- Heartfelt stories of perseverance
As a follow-up to Tuesday's Special Board Meeting, Superintendent Bruce Gearing sat down with Board President Trish Bode to continue the conversation on the May bond elections and the repurposing items included as part of the bond package. … Read more
April 11, 2023
At Tuesday's Special Board Meeting, the Leander ISD Board of Trustees and Superintendent expressed their strong desire for reciprocal communication with the community – listening and collaborating with them – to achieve the best possible outcomes for each region of our #1LISD family. … Read more
April 6, 2023
Superintendent Bruce Gearing, Ed.D., provides information on Proposition B, a Voter-Approval Tax Rate Election (VATRE), which will appear on the ballot in the November 8, 2022 election. … Read more
October 24, 2022
For a districtwide staff listing, visit the Staff Directory page.