The purpose of Child Find is to locate, identify and evaluate children from birth to 21 years of age and their possible need for special education and related services. Child Find is a free referral and information service available through local education agencies and Service Center Region XIII.
Children learn at different rates but some children have significant difficulty. We’re here to help you access services to meet the unique learning needs of your child. If you are concerned your child may be learning, playing or interacting differently from others, please call our office at 512-570-0350.
Referrals may be initiated by (but are not limited to):
- Preschool Teachers/Directors
- Outside agencies/therapists/ECI
Students receiving services through ECI will be transitioned into the public school system starting as early as 150 days prior to their third birthday.
What is the next step?
District Child Find staff will:
- Meet with the family
- Schedule a screening if needed
- Schedule an evaluation if needed
- Schedule and facilitate the ARD (Admission, Review, Dismissal) meeting
- Gather enrollment information if the child qualifies for special education services
Who is Eligible?
There is a two-part test for determining whether your child is eligible for special education services:
- your child must have a disability; and
- as a result of the disability, your child must need special education services to benefit from education.
Special Education Services
- Speech/language Impairment
- Other Health Impaired
- Visual Impairment
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Multiple Impairments
- Hearing Impairment
- Orthopedic Impairment
- Intellectual Disability*
- Emotional Disturbance*
- Learning Disability*
- Non-Categorical Early Childhood (NCEC). It is for students aged 3-5 who have general delays in their physical, cognitive, communication, social, emotional, or adaptive development; and who, because of these delays, need special education and related services. In Texas, a child between the ages of 3-5 may be described as “NCEC” if he or she has been diagnosed as having one of the *
*These disability categories must be determined by age 6. It is used with young children because the true disability is often difficult to determine at an early age. Services may begin at birth for children with visual or auditory impairments.
Special Education Terms
- ARD: Admission, Review, Dismissal
- DIAG: Educational Diagnostician
- FAPE: Free and Appropriate Education
- FIE: Full Individual Evaluation
- IEP: Individual Education Plan
- LRE: Least Restrictive Environment
- LSSP: Licensed Specialist in School Psychology
- OT: Occupational Therapist
- PT: Physical Therapist
- SLP: Speech Language Pathologist
Continuum of Services & Placement Options
- ESLE – Early Structured Learning Environment 20 hrs/wk
- ELE classroom – Early Learning Environment 20 hrs/wk
- LEIP – Language Enrichment Intervention Program 10 hrs/wk
- PSLP – Preschool Speech and Language Program 4hrs/wk
- Campus Based Speech Therapy – time varies
Evaluation determines goals/objectives which drive placement. Placement is never determined ahead of the evaluation. Placement must be in the least restrictive environment (LRE) where the child can make progress on the goals and objectives.
- Must have an educational need for services
- Must look at how disability affects participation in age-appropriate activities
- Recommendation for services always follows evaluation
- Access to Child Find is part of your child’s free and appropriate public education
Resources & Related Articles
- Parent Companion
- Texas Project First
- LISD to offer free breakfast and lunch for the rest of the 2020–21 school year; LEEF pays off all negative meal balances
- Changes to Transcript Request through Parchment
- Dedicated Teacher Planning Time
- October 2020 Staff Listening Sessions Report
- Early Reading Screener K-2nd Grade
- Leander ISD Communication Channels
- Zoom Student Instructions
- Frontline Health Portal | Nuevo portal de salud Frontline
- Launch to Learning: 2020–21 School Year
For a districtwide staff listing, visit the Staff Directory page.