The Global Cultures and Languages Department from Leander ISD offers this page as a support for multilingual families to find common educational resources in different languages. Some of our resources are created in-house by different departments, and some are from different sources that have been revised for general use. These resources are useful tools for a virtual and in-person learning environment, get to know safety resources, cultures and educational resources and district news. The library is updated periodically as new resources or updates occur.
General LISD platform used by students to access all instructional resources in one place. Students need their credentials to log in.
Launchpad instructions available in:
Digital portfolio used by LISD students in PreK-2 to upload assignments, review work in an interactive platform to communicate easily with teachers. SeeSaw is one of the resources accessible through the LISD Launchpad.
SeeSaw instructions for parents and students available in:
Videoconference platform used by Leander ISD for live classes (synchronous instruction). Teachers deliver instruction via Zoom using the LISD Zoom licensed account. Zoom is accessible through Launchpad and students the first time are asked to join the account, using their Google LISD credentials.
Zoom instructions with Google available in:
Leander ISD uses Istation which is a computerized learning program used for Reading (K through 5th grade) and includes an integrated assessment. Istation provides students with engaging individualized learning paths, as well as online and print resources.
Instructions for remote ISTATION assessment tool available in:
Google Classroom for Students
In Leander ISD students also use Google Classroom and G Suite for classes and submit assignments. Teachers set up their own classrooms and have a specific code at the beginning of each course for students to join and start reading the materials and organization of the class.
Google has instructions and tutorials in several languages to practice the resources and features of Classroom.
Google Classroom for Students – English | Google Classroom for Students – Español | Google Classroom for Students – Portuguese | Google Classroom for Students – Chinese | Google Classroom for Students – Russian | Google Classroom for Students – Japanese | Google Classroom for Students – Korean
Google Classroom Modo Alumno
En Leander ISD los estudiantes usan Google Classroom y la Suite de recursos de Google para sus clases y entrega de tareas y trabajos. Los maestros configuran sus propias clases y con un código específico crean un grupo para los estudiantes cada que inicia un curso. El maestro enviará este código al inicio del año escolar, y los estudiantes deben visitar la página classroom.google.com para unirse a cada clase en particular o desde su plataforma Launchpad donde también encuentran un enlace.
Google tiene instrucciones y tutoriales para familiarizarse con el uso de Google Classroom en diferentes idiomas:
Google Classroom Modo Alumno – English | Google Classroom Modo Alumno – Español | Google Classroom Modo Alumnos – Portuguese | Google Classroom Modo Alumno – Chinese | Google Classroom Modo Alumno – Russian | Google Classroom Modo Alumno – Japanese | Google Classroom Modo Alumno – Korean
Cultures, Languages & Education
Resources representing cultures and countries to encourage learning, literacy and a love for reading, knowing and recognizing the many voices our cultures represent in LISD. We can all learn from each other, enjoy!
- Colorín Colorado (Spain): resources for literacy in Spanish, books and authors, bilingual education.
- Phet Interactive Simulations (USA): University of Colorado. Resources in Spanish for Science, with interactive simulations and experiments.
- Unite for Literacy (USA): Free interactive books for children, thematic library and audio features.
- Bibliocirco-Biblioteca Comfenalco Antioquia (Colombia): Workshops, read aloud, authors and literature.
- Exposición interactiva El Libro de la Selva de Rudyard Kipling (Colombia): Biblioteca Comfenalco-Antioquia. Interactive exhibit “The Jungle Book”, Rudyard Kipling.
- Diccionario de la Real Academia de la Lengua Española – RAE (Spain)
- National Library of Korea (South Korea): digital collection, rare books. Site available in English and Korean.
- Culture Traditions: UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization). Expressions of the world’s cultural diversity. Multimedia collection.
- Tagalog language and culture (Filipinas-Filipino-Philippines): Learn about the culture and Tagalog language in an interactive page that combines history and language.
- Vietnamese language and culture (Vietnam): Learn about the culture and Vietnamese language, in an interactive page that combines history and language.
- Arabic culture through language and literature (various Arabic countries): Literature online catalog. Hathitrust Digital Library, research library.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
Resources and glossaries in multiple languages for EL families, prepared to use with core curriculum areas. Used by ESL teachers and students to support both languages with appropriate use of linguistic concepts. Glossaries for math, algebra, ELA, social studies, science.
Source: New York University
Available: English, Multilingual.
Safety & COVID-19
Prepare to go to back to classes in person in LISD (poster):
What students and families can prepare at home before coming to classes in person.
LISD COVID-19 Health Response Handbook
Audience: Families and staff.
Protect yourself and others: How to wash your hands properly
Audience: families. Source: CDC.gov.
Available in: How to wash your hands properly – Spanish | How to wash your hands properly – Portuguese | How to wash your hands properly – Arabic | How to wash your hands properly – Urdu | How to wash your hands properly – French | How to wash your hands properly – Chinese
Cómo lavarte las manos apropiadamente (Spanish)
Quando e como lavar as suas mãos (Portuguese)
Quand et comment se laver les mains (French)
متى وكيف تغسل يديك (Arabic)
Get to know the latest news from Leander ISD, new resources, programs and important updates. This newsletter is sent to all parents and families via Remind, published in the institutional social media outlets, and replicated by campuses. Most recent versions are also posted here for your convenience.
Available: English, Spanish
- Jan. 27: The Compass Newsletter – Jan. 27 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Jan. 27 (Spanish)
- Jan. 13: The Compass Newsletter – Jan. 13 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Jan. 13 (Spanish)
- Dec. 16: The Compass Newsletter – Dec. 16 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Dec. 16 (Spanish)
- Dec. 2: The Compass Newsletter – Dec. 2 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Dec. 2 (Spanish)
- Nov. 20: The Compass Newsletter – Nov. 20 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Nov. 20 (Spanish)
- Nov. 11: The Compass Newsletter – Nov. 11 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Nov. 11 (Spanish)
- Oct. 28: The Compass Newsletter – Oct. 28 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Oct. 28 (Spanish)
- Oct. 14: The Compass Newsletter – Oct. 14 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Oct. 14 (Spanish)
- Sept. 30: The Compass Newsletter – Sept. 30 (English) | Boletín Informativo The Compass – Sept. 30 (Spanish)