LISD has a strict policy against tobacco use on campus, including e-cigarettes, or “vaping.” The district’s student handbook prohibits “possessing, smoking or using tobacco products, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, and any component, part, or accessory for an e-cigarette device.”
The district is aware of the rise in vaping use among teenagers nationwide and is taking steps to address it on our campuses by:
- Increasing patrols in areas it’s been reported, including bathrooms and hallways.
- Investigating every report of vaping on campus, including possession of prohibited accessories.
- Continuing training of area superintendents, principals and assistant principals in how to address vaping incidents on their campuses.
- Addressing through Alcohol Drug Awareness and Prevention Team education lessons in grades 5–9.
How you can help:
- Talk to your student about the dangers of vaping, including serious medical problems.
- Report vaping or prohibited items on campus by telling a school administrator or submitting an anonymous alert.
- Be aware that vapes come in a variety of shapes, including some that are made to look like school supplies and other household items (pens, flash drives, asthma inhalers)
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with your concerns via Let’s Talk, and thank you for helping spread awareness about the dangers of vaping.